Sunday, May 4, 2014

DiscountPaperCrafts May Card Kit- Masculine cards

Happy Sunday everyone! I'm back to share some cards Kaylah and I created using the May Card Kit from DiscountPaperCrafts. This month's card kit features Echo Park's Reflections paper pad and comes with everything you need to create some fabulous handmade cards. I really love that this kit has a masculine feel to it. Masculine cards can be a bit of a challenge for most of us, but this kit is a great starting point and the colors are just perfect for masculine projects. So let me show you what Kaylah and I came up with:

 
 This is the first card we created with the kit. It's a very simple card to recreate and I just love how the pattern papers look layered over one another. Of course, we had to bust out the Old Jalopy die by Tim Holtz, for this one. We cut it out of chipboard that came in our kit and gave it 2 coats of dark blue paint. We also used a sponge dauber to apply some gunmetal paint in random spots. Then we sanded the die cut to reveal some of the chipboard and inked it with Vintage Photo. This gave it a really rusty , vintage look. We added some Finnabair metal pieces ,that were painted with the same gunmetal paint ,for the "hubcaps". I like how they don't match...it's an old jalopy after all.
 
 
Love the layering on this card. We lightly distressed all the edges of the paper and added a piece of corrugated board for texture. The postcards and stamps were fussy cut from one of the papers and inked with Vintage Photo before adhering them to the card. The main image and sentiment are from the "Life's Possibilities" stamp set, also by Tim Holtz. Lastly, we added a mini paper clip and one of the smaller Adornments arrows.
 
 
I think this one might be my favorite. I was inspired by Tim's January tag, so I incorporated the pocket watch and techniques to create this card. The pocket watch was painted with dark brown paint then dabbed with coppery puffy paint. We used our fingers and made sure not to cover the entire surface. I really like metallic color and the texture the puffy paint creates, when heated. I covered the Alpha Parts with embossing ink and covered with Distressed Powders in Walnut Stain. Then I just randomly dabbed some coppery paint on top of the letters. Pretty cool huh?
 
 
I went for a nautical theme on this one using a stamp set I recently picked up at Michaels. I stamped the image using Memento Ink in Tuxedo Black then colored it with distress inks and a waterbrush. The "waves" were created with Tim's On the Edge Scrollwork die. I die cut 2 strips out of the pattern paper and I layered them using foam tape. For texture, I added a piece of burlap trim and some cheesecloth behind the main image. And of course, I had to add something metal to my card, so I layered a Compass coin over one of the Finnabair metal pieces from the kit. A cute little tag tucked into some jute string completes the look of my card.
 
 
Even though the kit has a masculine vibe, you can still create a more feminine card with the addition of  some girly touches. Here I used some of the floral papers from the paper pad that were in the lighter colors. I added a piece of lace trim on top of the burlap trim from the kit to soften it up a bit. The birdcage is a wood die cut that I inked with Wild Honey Distress Stain and dabbed with a little Snow-Tex for texture. I created the flower cluster using the Petaloo Textured Petals that came in the kit. They're made out of burlap and come in a beautiful shade of green that coordinates so well with the papers. A few die cut leaves and a metal piece cut in halves complete my cluster. I really love the rustic charm of this card!
 
So you see, masculine cards don't have to be a challenge. Cathie, has already done the hard work for you and has put together the perfect kit for your masculine creations. Head on over to DiscountPaperCrafts and get your hands on this great kit before it sells out. And for only $20, it's a great deal!
 
 Thank you so much for stopping by today! I really do appreciate it and I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. See you all real soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment