Monday, May 12, 2014

Altered Jar, card in a box, and handmade gift box for Mother's Day

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day, yesterday. Mine was pretty uneventful ( not that there's anything wrong with that). We're just not big on going out for Mother's Day. I mean, all the restaurants are booked solid, you've got to deal with all the crowds, and really it's just another day in my book. Now, that doesn't mean we don't do gifts. No sir, I better get something good for all the hard work I do all year, lol! And hubby, never disappoints. This year instead of buying me a bouquet of flowers that will only die in a few days, he went out and bought me a garden! Really! He came home from Lowes with tons of beautiful blooms, rose bushes, Casa Blanca Lilies  and spent the entire afternoon planting them all in the yard. Now I can enjoy beautiful flowers all year long! Love that man of mine, hehe.
As for me, I spent the day finishing off the projects  I made for my mom. I am so very fortunate to still have her in my life and she means the world to me. So every year, I try to make something special for her, to show her how much I care. One of the first things I ever made her was a macaroni "portrait" when I was 5 years old. The smile was all lopsided and it definitely didn't look like her, but would you believe she still has it? Well, my crafting abilities have definitely improved since then, so let me share what I made.

Altered Mason Jar

 
My mom really loves to sew but she is always losing her sewing notions. So I came up with a  solution to that problem. I decided to alter a good ol' fashioned mason jar. The lid became a pincushion for her pins and needles and she can open the jar and use it to store her thimbles, tape measure etc... Plus it makes for a cute décor piece, don't you think?
 
 
 
 
Sewing Theme Card-in-a-box
 
I've been seeing so many of these pop up cards on Pinterest and I just had to give it a try. They look complicated but they are really so easy to make. Of course, I continued with the sewing theme and I used several of my Tim Holtz dies to decorate my card. I used the Ornate Frame die and turned it into a mirror using the adhesive mirrored sheets. I also used the Sewing Room die and part of the Sewing Edge die to create some embellishments. The paper collection I used is by DCWV call the Primrose Stack. It's gorgeous!!
 
 
 
 
 
Handmade Gift Box
 
Well, you can't give such a pretty card in just a plain old envelope, right? So I created a cute little gift box for my card.
 
 
See how nicely the card fits in the box and it makes for such a beautiful presentation.
 
 
 Here's a picture of the whole gift set.
 
I'm so happy with the way my projects turned out and my mother loved them! The smile on her face was as big as the one many, many years ago , when I handed her the macaroni portrait. That smile always bring me great joy! Love you to pieces Momma!
 
Hope you all enjoyed my projects and please come back to visit . I'll see you all real soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment